Ocean and Atmosphere Physics
In the 1990s, the wave processes laboratory, geophysical hydrodynamics laboratory and statistical hydrodynamics laboratory merged to form the geophysical hydrodynamics laboratory which was headed by K. Koshel.
- 2022-2024 RSF research team grant, Project title: «Advanced mathematical methods for the modeling of sound propagation in the ocean and their applications» (No. 22-11-00171), awarded by: Russian Science Foundation (RSF).
- 2020-2021 Industry research contract, Project title: «Development of a software package for the modeling of acoustic fields in shallow water based on the wide-angle mode parabolic equations theory», funded by: Exxon Neftegaz Limited (Russian branch of Exxon Mobil).
- 2018-2020 «RFBR grant for top research groups led by young scientists», Project title: «New semi-analytical methods for solving practical problems of sound propagation in underwater acoustics» (No. 18-35-20081_mol_a_ved), awarded by: Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR).
- 2018-2020 «RFBR research grant», Project title: «Horizontal refraction of the acoustic waves in a shallow sea and the eigenfunctions localized in the neighborhood of families of horizontal rays» (No. 18-05-00057_a), awarded by: Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR).
- 2017-2018 Russian President’s grant, Project title: «New methods of geoacoustic inversion and their application to the measurements data obtained in different areas of Pacific Ocean» (No. 2262.2017.5), awarded by: Russian President’s council for grants.
- 2022 DAAD scholarship (2 months), Bergische Universität Wuppertal, Fakultät 4, Wuppertal, Germany. Research project: «A counterpart of the split-step Padé method for solving iterative parabolic equations». (visitor: Prof. Pavel Petrov, Host: Prof. M. Ehrhardt).
- 2019 Heinrich Hertz foundation scholarship (2 months), Bergische Universität Wuppertal, Fachbereich C – Mathematik und Naturwissenschaften, Wuppertal, Germany. Research project: Wide-angle mode parabolic equations in underwater acoustics: derivation and numerical solutions. (visitor: Dr. Pavel Petrov, host: Prof. M. Ehrhardt).
- 2019 Metchnikov scholarship awarded by French embassy in Russia (2 months), Université de Lorraine, Instituit Elie Cartan de Lorraine, Nancy, France. Research project: “Iterative parabolic equations in nonlinear optics: numerical solution, dynamical laws and absorbing boundary conditions”. (visitor: Dr. Pavel Petrov, Host: Prof. X. Antoine)
- 2017 DAAD scholarship (3 months), Bergische Universität Wuppertal, Fachbereich C – Mathematik und Naturwissenschaften, Wuppertal, Germany. Research project: «High-order iterative parabolic approximations for the nonlinear wave equations and their numerical implementation». (visitor: Dr. Pavel Petrov: Prof. M. Ehrhardt.)
Key research results
- Software for computation of scalar and vector acoustic fields used during the monitoring of anthropogenic acoustic noise in a shallow sea
- Methods of high-precision estimation of effective velocities of the sound pulses propagation used in acoustic navigation and ranging systems
- Prediction of the impact of extreme atmospheric phenomena (e.g., typhoons and cyclones) on the hydrodynamical processes and parameters that are important for the economy of near-coastal territories
Key publications (complete list are available at lab members personal pages)
- Petrov P.S., Ehrhardt M., Trofimov M.Yu. On decomposition of the fundamental solution of the Helmholtz equation over solutions of iterative parabolic equations//Asymptotic Analysis, 2022, V. 126, p. 215-228.
- S.B. Kozitskiy, M.Yu. Trofimov, P.S. Petrov , On the numerical solution of the iterative parabolic equations by ETDRK pseudospectral methods in linear and nonlinear media//Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 2022, V. 108, art. no. 106228.
- Manul’chev D., Tyshchenko A., Fershalov M., Petrov P. Estimating sound exposure levels due to a broadband source over large areas of shallow sea//Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 2022, V.10, art. no. 82.
- Petrov P.S., Kazak M.S., Petrova T.N. A generalization of WKBJ method for solving a system describing propagation of coupled modes in underwater acoustics// Physics Letters A. 2022. V. 450. art. No. 128383.
- Matskovskiy A., Zavorokhin G., Petrov P. A method for reducing transcendental dispersion relations to nonlinear ordinary differential equations in a wide class of wave propagation problems// Mathematics, 2022, V.10, art. No. 3866.
- Makarov D.V., Petrov P.S. Full reconstruction of acoustic wavefields by means of pointwise measurements//Wave Motion, 2022, V.115, art. No. 103084
- Berloff, P., Ryzhov, E., Shevchenko, I. On dynamically unresolved oceanic mesoscale motions // Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2021. V. 920, n. A41.
- Agarwal, N., Ryzhov, E., Kondrashov, D., Berloff, P. Correlation-based flow decomposition and statistical analysis of the eddy forcing // Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2021. V. 924, n. A5.
- Agarwal, N., Kondrashov, D, Dueben, P., Ryzhov, E., Berloff, P. A comparison of data-driven approaches to build low-dimensional ocean models // Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems, 2021. V. 13, n. e2021MS002537.
- Kazak M., Koshel K., Petrov P. Generalized form of the invariant imbedding method and its application to the study of back-scattering in shallow-water acoustics//Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 2021, V. 9, No. 9, art. no. 1033.
- Zakharenko A.D., Trofimov M.Yu., Petrov P.S. Improving the Performance of Mode-Based Sound Propagation Models by Using Perturbation Formulae for Eigenvalues and Eigenfunctions // Journal of Marine Science and Engineering, 2021, V.9, No. 9, Art. No. 934.
- Ostrovskii A., Stepanov D., Kaplunenko D., Park J.-H., Park Y.-G., Tishchenko P. Turbulent mixing and its contribution to the oxygen flux in the northwestern boundary current region of the Japan/East Sea, April–October 2015 // Journal of Marine Systems, 2021, V. 224, p. 103619.
- Zakharenko A.D., Trofimov M.Yu., Petrov P.S. Modal perturbation theory for the case of bathymetry variations in shallow-water acoustics//Russian Journal of Mathematical Physics, 2021, V. 28, No. 2, p. 257–262.
- Petrov P.S., Antoine X. Pseudodifferential adiabatic mode parabolic equations in curvilinear coordinates and their numerical solution//Journal of Computational Physics, 2020, V.410, art. no. 109392.
- Petrov P.S., Ehrhardt M., Tyshchenko A.G., Petrov P.N. Wide-angle mode parabolic equations for the modelling of horizontal refraction in underwater acoustics and their numerical solution on unbounded domains//Journal of Sound and Vibration, 2020, V. 484, art. no. 115526.
- Kozitskiy S.B. The first 180 Lyapunov exponents for two-dimensional complex Ginzburg-Landau-type equation // Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, 2020, V. 84, art. no. 105172.
- Stepanov D.V., Ryzhov E.A., Zagumennov A.A., Berloff P., Koshel K.V. Clustering of floating tracer due to mesoscale vortex and submesoscale fields//Geophysical Research Letters, 2020, V. 47, art. no. e2019GL086504.
- Sokolovskiy M. A., Koshel K.V., Dritschel D.G., Reinau J.N., N-symmetric interaction of N hetons. I. Analysis of the case N = 2// Phys. Fluids, 2020, V. 32, art. no. 096601.
- Ryzhov E., Kondrashov D., Agarwal N., McWilliams J., Berloff P., On data-driven induction of the low-frequency variability in a coarse-resolution ocean model//Ocean Modelling, 2020, V. 153, art. no. 101664.
- Pavel S. Petrov, Ph.D., head of laboratory
- Konstantin V. Koshel, Dr.Sc., principal researcher
- Vadim V. Novotryasov, Dr.Sc., leading researcher
- Mikhail Y. Trofimov, Dr.Sc., leading researcher
- Vladimir V. Pak, Ph.D., leading researcher
- Evgeny A. Ryzhov, Dr.Sc., senior researcher
- Sergey B. Kozitskiy, Ph.D., senior researcher
- Alyona D. Zakharenko, Ph.D., senior researcher
- Dmitry V. Stepanov, Ph.D., senior researcher
- Mikhail S. Kazak, junior researcher
- Konstantin G. Kuptsov, lead engineer
- Theoretical and computational underwater acoustics
- Mathematical approaches to the modelling of wave and vortex phenomena in the ocean
- Chaotic advection in coherent structures in the ocean
- Heat and mass transfer and formation of structures in multi-component fluids
- Large-scale circulation modelling of the Sea of Japan, and investigation of physical mechanisms of its long-term variability
- Nonlinear dynamics of internal gravity waves in various areas of the Pacific shelf
- Heat and mass transfer and elastodynamics in the Earth crust and mantle in the ocean-continent transition area
- Konstantin V. Koshel, Dr.Sc., principal researcher
- Захаренко Алена Дмитриевна, к.ф.-м.н
- Sergey B. Kozitskiy, Ph.D.
- Kupcov Konstantin Georgievich
- Vadim V. Novotryasov, Dr.Sc.
- Vladimir V. Pak, Ph.D.
- Pavel S Petrov, PhD in Theoretical physics
- Рыжов Евгений Андреевич, д.ф.-м.н.
- Dmitry V. Stepanov, Ph.D.
- Trofimov Mikhail YUrevich
- Казак Михаил Сергеевич
- Kuznecova Natalya Vladislavovna